Sunday, April 15, 2007

Kashima Maple Repotted







Finally found some time to repot the Kashima. The buds had just broken and it was time for a new pot anyway. The old erin pot was nice, but not for this tree. I tried two pots, one from Erin pottery and one from Sary Rayner. I chose the one that Sara made as I like the look of it, and I feel the green/yellow complements the leaves. What do you think?

Repotting was pretty typical. The pot was crammed with roots as this maple always grows strongly. I just wish it would wait to push new growth a little longer! I tilted it slightly forward to incline the trunk (and will continue this on future transplants), and gave it an all over haircut. I reduced the lowest branch and in the future may remove it entirely. The whole tree needs a restyle, but not this year!

No comments: